Equipment and Materials6
Essential tools, equipment and materials required to complete the workshop
Downloadable patterns and instructions for printing and the production of templates
Cutting and preparing all the fabric pieces
Initial assembly work.
Appliqueing all the small detail pieces onto the bear.
Constructing and fitting the ears
Constructing the head
Head to Neck4
Assembling the head to the neck
Head/Neck to Back1
Attaching the back
Head/Neck/Back assembly to Chest Piece2
Finishing and attaching the vent
Assembling the front leg
Assembling the front half of the the bear
Buttocks and Tail1
Assembling the buttocks
Assembling the hind legs
Bringing it all together
Assembling and fitting the bridle
Showing your bear
Other tools that you will need to assemble your bear are as a minimum
- Sewing scissors
- Seam ripper
- Pins or Clips
- HB pencil (and sharpener)
- (Optional) Fine pointed soldering iron, pyrography tool or whatever other device you prefer to use to make holes for bridle lines.
For working with black fabric rather than an HB pencil, I use white Staedtler Lumocolor non-permanent omnichrom pencils.
If you are making the bear from the patterns rather than from a kit you will also need:
- Fabric weights
- Fabric scissors
- A piece of tracing paper: Adult – A2, Cub – A3
- If using soft mesh for the vent, a length of Reynolds Freezer paper, an Iron and an ironing board.
- An A3 piece of pattern card or thin card suitable for making templates.
- Paper glue for mounting the template pattern on to the pattern card.
- Hot cutting tool
- If you are building a black bear then you will either need to sacrifice your patterns or have a light table.